Monday, July 28, 2008

I Missed My Friends Mulder and Scully



So, I've previously discussed my great teenage love of Pete Sampras. But those who know me know the real truth: that the Great Pete comes in a distant second to my love of all things Mulder and Scully.

It's sad to say, but "The X-Files" was a major component of my life throughout high school and college. I've seen every episode numerous times, and can still amaze Brian with my thoroughly useless knowledge of the content of the episodes. He and I can be watching something totally unrelated and he'll say an actor looks familiar, and I can say, "Oh he guest starred on the X-Files episode...." and name the episode, what season it was in, what the character's name was, and everything else. It is really kind of pathetic. When you are a fan of a show to that depth, you feel as though you know the characters as real people. (Sometimes I can understand how someone who's totally unhinged can think they know an actor or something.) So, last night, when Brian took me to see the movie, "The X-Files: I Want to Believe," I felt like I was visiting old friends whom I haven't seen in a while. I was curious what's up with them.

I don't want to ruin the movie for anyone who hasn't seen it, but I will say a few things. Scully is still gorgeous in that super-smart chick way (yeah smart chicks!), Mulder is still hot (to me anyway, even though Duchovny is nearing 50), Skinner makes a brief appearance (I was soooo happy), and even their baby William is briefly mentioned (but not discussed further, bummer). Mulder and Scully have apparently been living together as a couple since they went on the run in the show's finale, and it shows. And I mean that in a good way. Some reviews have stated that they thought the chemistry was lacking between our two heroes, but I disagree. The chemistry is just different. Because Mulder and Scully have been in a long term relationship at this point, the repressed sexual chemistry is gone. They are now two people who admittedly love each other like crazy, and are disagreeing on what direction their lives are going to take. As I said to Brian last night, he and I surely have different chemistry than we did when we started dating. But that doesn't mean it's not there.

The movie itself was okay/pretty good. I will agree with some people who thought it wasn't as suspenseful as it could have been. Along the way, the viewers were given clues as to what was happening that, on the show itself, we would have never been given, thus lessening the suspense level. It was still a very interesting story focusing on faith, psychic abilities, and some other super duper creepy stuff I won't reveal. All in all, I was very happy to see the movie. No matter what, I will always love Mulder and Scully.

1 comment:

April said...

Michigan Girl, I've been thinking about you and wondered if you had seen the X-files movie! I would have been surprised if you hadn't.

Glad that you liked it. :)