Saturday, April 18, 2009

Little Me


The reason I haven't blogged in almost two weeks is that I have been super busy working again. This is very good--money is nice. The assignment I'm on right now is a document review project at a firm in Bloomfield Hills, so the drive is long. The hours are also kind of long, so by the time I've been getting home at night, I've been pretty damn tired. Thus, no blogging.

However, our work got canceled this weekend due to the illness of the lead attorney, so I actually find myself with a few moments to do an entry I've been wanting to do. When Brian and I went to my parents' for Easter, my grandmother came in the house and said that she'd been going through some boxes of stuff that had belonged to her mom, my great grandmother, Grandma Anderson. Grandma Anderson died in the spring of my last year in college. Grandma Anderson was famous for two things: her prolific smoking habit, and the handmade sweaters she made EVERYBODY for Christmas EVERY SINGLE year. Now, as a kid, I hated sweaters, and didn't really appreciate the gifts she made me. However, if she were alive today, I would want about 20 of those things. I do have the last thing she ever made me, which was a hand knit toiletry bag. I use it every single time I go somewhere.

So, anyway, Grandma Sharon was going through the boxes and ran across a picture. It's the picture shown above. On the back, in Grandma Anderson's very recognizable old fashioned handwriting, it says "1983." That would make me 4 years old in this photo. However, I have a feeling its really from 1984, because this is clearly a school picture, and I never went to preschool. So, I strongly feel like this is my Kindergarten school picture. Look at little me! I'm so cute, although I wish my pigtails were neater in this photo!

I have to say its really nice to have a picture of myself from when I was little. When my parents got divorced, my father was a total asshole (big shock) and destroyed all the pictures and photo albums my mom had of me and my older brother. So, there are no pictures of me left that I'm aware of me as a baby or small child. So, it's really nice to have this one. Also, I have to say I distinctly remember the sweater I'm wearing in this picture. I remember being little and looking down at myself and seeing the flowers that are all over it. I remember not liking wearing the sweater, because, as I said, I hated sweaters, but also because it was, in particular, a turtleneck (which I still hate). However, I'd give anything to have one of those sweaters now. And also, a few more pics of myself as a little kid.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWWW.....that is a cute picture!

-JEss

April said...

That is one of the coolest sweaters ever. Have I already told you that? :) So glad you have this pic!

Anonymous said...

"Prolific smoking habit" doesn't begin to describe it...hard to believe she's been gone for 8 years now. She'd be proud of the cute little girl in that photo!

UM