Wednesday, August 5, 2009

UP Trip Part One

So, we are back from our trip to the UP. We left last Wednesday and got home Monday night. We had so much to do yesterday to catch up! But today I have a few minutes to sit down and post some stuff here about the trip. I'll do the first part today and then the second part in the next few days!

Wednesday morning we left and headed up to Grand Marais to camp with my aunt and uncle, Marty and Margaret, and my cousins Nolan and Emma. Margaret's mom Jan was also there, and a whole bunch of friends of Marty and Margarets'. After a 6 hour drive (plus stopping time), we got to the campground late in the afternoon and set up the tent. It was my first time tent camping, and it was fine for 3 nights. I could maybe handle one more night and that's about it! And we were lucky not to have any true inclement weather! Anyway, the campground was right on Lake Superior, and the views were awesome. What a pretty place!

On Thursday, we traveled around with Margaret and the kids and her mom and friends to 4 different sets of falls in the area, and got great pictures. We also had pasties at Muldoon's in Munising. Pasties are good, but I've had my fill of them for awhile! Friday, Brian and I went on a trip to Whitefish Point/Paradise to go to the Shipwreck Museum. We saw the bell off the Edmund Fitzgerald and spoke to a man who was on board the Arthur Anderson (the ship right behind the Fitz) that day. He said it was the worst storms he's ever seen in his life, and talked a lot with Brian about that terrible day. Then, we had fish and chips lunch at the Fish Haus in Paradise. Best fish I've ever had, fresh caught out of the lake that day! Then, we headed to both Upper and Lower Tahquamenon Falls. Totally awesome! We had dinner that night at the brew pub in Grand Marais, which has good pizza and beer.

Here are some pics. The first one is of the sunset off the break wall in Grand Marais. Margaret took this picture with our camera. Amazing.



This picture is of Wagner Falls, outside of Munising. There are tons of neat falls in that general area if you go. Also, Pictured Rocks are there, which we were not able to see. So, we've decided we must go back!



Finally, we have a picture Brian took at Lower Tahquamenon Falls. Both the upper and lower are awesome and you can actually hike the 4 miles in between the two parks! Of course, you either have to then hike back to your car, have someone there to pick you up, or pay an outrageous $9 a person for a shuttle that takes you back. Someday!


1 comment:

April said...

I LOVE that photo of you two! Totally framable.

I am jealous, because I have wanted to do the Grand Marais area trip for a while. It's so beautiful up there. I love Lake Superior.