Monday, April 7, 2008

Use Autotrader.com

Well, I have officially sold my old car. As you know, if you read a previous post, I got a new Saturn Aura about 3 weeks ago. I love the new car. It rides smoothly, handles well, and has great features. My faulty intake manifold valve has also been replaced, so all is well there. We didn't trade in my old car ('99 Saturn SC1 coupe) because I had three members of our various families that stated they were interested. So, when I got the new car, I started calling people.

My aunt and uncle had expressed interest awhile ago in buying the car for one of my cousins. But, my aunt had recently gotten a new car (a Saturn Vue), so now both of my cousins had vehicles to drive, so I doubted that they would want mine anymore. I was right.

Brian's sister and brother in law had also said they might want my lovely old car. But, I had a feeling that my brother in law wouldn't like the car for the same reasons Brian didn't (sits too low to the ground, rough-ish suspension, 4-cylinder engine, lack of features). Turned out I was right.

Then my parents bailed on me. My mom had said they wanted the car for my brother G. My stepdad said no, he needs a small truck to drive and put his dirt bikes in. Plus, they already had 4 vehicles (long story) and were paying a ridiculous amount in insurance. Well, long story short, G is getting his truck, and they are selling 3 of their 4 current vehicles and buying one that better meets my mother's needs, so they will have 3 vehicles, not 4 or 5.

So, for the past few weeks, the coupe has been sitting in the driveway, all vacuumed and cleaned and looking lonely. We finally got around to putting an ad on Autotrader.com on Saturday morning before I left for a bridal shower. We bought an 8 week package, hoping to get interest. I priced the car right at the high end of what Kelly Blue Book thought it was worth.

The first call came at 9:30 Sunday morning, about 24 hours after we put the ad up. Those folks wanted to come out at 11 to look at the car. I was very excited to already have someone calling. Before those folks even made it to the house, I got another call. I told that gentlemen that I had someone coming to look, and I would call him back immediately and let him know if the car was still here. I then proceeded to get 2 more calls in the next hour or so, whose names and numbers I took.

The first folks came to look at the car. They didn't buy it right then, and I had a feeling they wouldn't. They said they'd call me in the afternoon. So, I called back Caller #2, and told him to come on out. He and his mom came an hour later. He was a nice young guy, a young Navy vet who is in the Nursing program at U of M and has been taking the bus for the last year and a half. He and his mom (who Brian and I could immediately tell knew a thing or two about cars) inspected the car, drove it around the sub a bit, and immediately offered me darn near my asking price. I accepted immediately (it was honestly more than I thought I'd get, so I was happy) and we went inside to fill out the title and receipt. I called all the other folks and thanked them for their interest, but told them the car was sold. Navy vet/nursing student came and drove it away today after getting his new license plate.

So, Autotrader.com sold my car in a whopping 24 hours. I'm sure that it had something to do with the price of the car, the type of car it was, and the fact that decent used cars are hard to find right now, but still. 24 hours is pretty damn quick. And I'm happy I don't have to bum money off Brian for awhile.

3 comments:

eric said...

cool...congrats on the new car. you might want to help out others looking for a saturn aura by visiting www.dealerdrop.com

April said...

Yay for you! Yay for Navy Vet getting a quality car!

I CANNOT believe that your bro is old enough for a car. Not possible.

April said...

Yay! I linked you to my blog. I wanted to get your permission before I did it, so I'm glad you said something! :)