Monday, May 5, 2008

Flashbacks of Youth

So, today I had to go to Saginaw for my temp job for the first time. When they have plaintiffs that live up north, they hold the dep at SVSU so these folks don't have to come all the way down to Bingham Farms. So, today, I had a 10:00 am dep at SVSU's campus.

I printed myself directions yesterday, even though I basically knew how to get there. I printed the directions so I would be sure of what exit to take, and which ways to turn. The google map directions said to go up 75 to exit 154 towards Zilwaukee. Off I went this morning. I left before 8 am to make sure that I would have plenty of time. The map said it would take about an hour and 15 minutes and I like to leave myself plenty of time.

The first flashback came as I was approaching Saginaw. Signs began brightly proclaiming "I-75 Northbound closed down at Zilwaukee Bridge!" I immediately began to panic slightly, as the exit my directions provided was AFTER the Z-bridge (as those of us who grew up in that area call it). "Crap, crap, crap," I thought. "Where do I go?" Then, I actually come upon the detour, and realize its 675. "Oh, duh," I thought. "Of course, you know where you're going! You only made this drive probably once a week on average for several years of your teenage life. Take the Titabawasee Road exit and make a left to Bay Road, then make a right!" Big dummy.

So, I exit off at Titabawasee and make my left. And suddenly, the memories were overwhelming. Memories of coming to go to good old Fashion Square Mall (which sucks), out to eat (same old chain restaurants, but we had to go 45 minutes to get to them), and actually going to SVSU for class my senior year. It was warm today, and I remembered coming to the movies with A (who is a frequent reader!) to see "Liar, Liar" in the middle of a school day in early June, because we had perfect attendance and got out of school early. I remember coming to Meijer with H after the Homecoming football game my sophomore year, which was her freshmen year in college. We went to Meijer because it was the only thing open that time of night. And there were so many other times, too.

I was surprised, though. There are new things in the area, but it still looks a little sad. That area is sort of depressed, as is most of the state. SVSU has changed a ton though, it is much bigger and looks very nice!

So that was my day of flashbacks and depositions!

1 comment:

April said...

Oh my gosh. You totally took me down memory lane there!

As you described turning down Titabawassee, I remembered me in my little beat up Beretta, going to my own class at SVSU (and how the Eng. Prof gave me a 4.0 when LaGraff refused to give me more than a flat B). I remember that crappy mall, but how it was so cool back then because we didn't have any other choice. I remember Liar, Liar. I remember that stupid DeJaVu billboard that is probably 20 years old now and the hot woman on it is probably a leathery looking chain smoker Grandma today.

Wow. Look how far we've come, baby! :)