Thursday, August 21, 2008

Say Hello to My Little Friend

So, about a week ago Brian said I needed a new toy. Keep in mind, I think I have the only husband on the planet who says I need to spend more money on myself. He has been wanting to get a new phone, as his Treo was completely crapping out--failing to sync properly, keys were dying, Windows Mobile was crashing, etc. He was sick of it, and I was sick of hearing him complain.

He decided he wanted an I-phone. For him, it makes sense, that's a business tool. I said, "For me, honey, that would be entirely useless. My flip phone is fine." Well, he disagreed. You see, he's been trying to get me a Wii-Fit since my birthday (2 months ago now!) and cannot get his hands on one. So, to make it up for me, he decided I needed a new phone. I am now the proud owner of a 16G 3G I-phone.

We got them on Friday of last week. For about 2 days, all I could do was play with it. And I must say, it's pretty freaking cool. But now, I've realized it's much more work than my old phone! I have to sync it up with my computer, manage my contacts, manage my music (I decided not to put my whole I-pod library on the thing, so what you do is import playlists). Also, we can't figure out how to sync up the photos I've taken with the phone onto my computer without copying them (i.e., I end up with 2 sets of identical photos on the phone). Brian is in his element with this stuff. For me, it's just frustrating, because it never works the way you want it to. I think technology should just be able to read my mind and do exactly what I want, when I want it. If it doesn't, then I'm not interested. Although, I must say, the I-phone is about as close to that as I've ever seen. And it is wicked fast. But maybe, just maybe, I don't really need to check my email tonight at Brian's softball game, or get on the internet to check the weather in Timbuktu. Maybe all this technology stuff is going a little to far. I can't get him off his damn computer to begin with. I think pretty soon, he's just going to want to get his cell phone implanted in his head or something so he's never without it, yet doesn't have to carry it around. Maybe we don't need to be plugged in 24-7. Maybe humans weren't meant to live that way. Maybe we all need to take a step back and lead a bit simpler lives.

Maybe we should just all be Amish. But, I hate Brian's beard (all married Amish men wear beards) and I'm sure I'd get sick of dark colored dresses, bonnets, and no shaving my legs pretty quickly. What a dilemma....


2 comments:

April said...

Yes, I have often wondered, "How much is too much technology?" I have a cell phone. But I don't have it strapped to my hip 24/7. The other day JB's brother called both our cells and the home phone, and when we didn't answer, he got all worried. "Where were you???" he later asked. "Not answering my phone, that's where!" :)

Earlier this week my coworker pulled into Best Buy with her husband. Who did they see walking out of the store? An Amish man! "Now, what on earth would an AMISH man need at Best Buy?!???" she asked me. Maybe technology is sucking them in, too...

April said...

Like the new layout!