Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Baby Trial Run

So, Brian's brother Ryan and his girlfriend Jen had a daycare emergency this week (their daycare lady had to have emergency surgery Monday) and they needed somebody to watch baby Kelsey this week. My mother in law Dena is watching her tomorrow and Thursday, but they were stuck yesterday and today. Brian and I were both home and not busy, and our house is actually not that far out of the way for Ryan to go to work. So, we were nannies to a 10 month old for the last couple days.

The days started early, at 6:30. Of course, she refused to go back to sleep after Ryan dropped her off and left, so I was up and about early. Both days we had to go upstairs to get Brian out of bed an hour later. She liked crawling in the bed with him and trying to get the cat. (He was actually relatively good with her--no hissing and he actually touched her finger with his nose once, and then ran away. For him, that's fantastic. Ask Holly.) Then came morning bottles and cereal. Lunch time and afternoon bottles also went well. She's a pretty good eater, so mealtimes went pretty well. The hardest part of the whole deal was nap times. She did not sleep very well at all--the first day, she slept an hour in the morning (good), 30 minutes after lunch (terrible) and then 20 minutes later in the afternoon that she shouldn't have needed had she slept better earlier. Today, she slept 25 minutes in the morning (terrible), an hour tops after lunch (15 minutes of that was me trying to get her BACK to sleep when she woke up after half an hour) and then 15 minutes on the floor of Brian's office after her late bottle, which, again, she shouldn't even have needed. In my mind, not enough for a baby her age, but I did the best I could. Also, Kelsey is teething, so today especially she was crabby. If one of us wasn't holding her, she was screaming, especially this afternoon. I did oragel this morning, and when it wore off, boy could we tell. Overall, a fine couple of days, but I have to admit, I'm looking forward to sleeping a bit later tomorrow and not having a 20 pound creature clinging to me constantly. Brian said to me, "What will we do when we have our own kids?" My reply was, "It's different when they're you're own, plus, we'll have some time to adjust."

Brian was a ton of help. Yesterday, I got my exercise while she was sleeping, and he watched her while I showered. Then, he watched her while I got groceries for an hour. Today, he watched her for an hour and a half while I went to yoga, and held her at various times so I could do stuff. He changed his first diaper ever today while I was gone, and it was even a poopy one. Good job honey! I knew you could do it! It's funny, though. I can already tell that when we do have kids, there will clearly be a good cop, bad cop vibe in our house, and I will be the bad cop. Our kids will hate me and love dad. Oh well.

Back to work tomorrow finally!!

1 comment:

April said...

I think in every family the Mom is the bad cop! Sorry about the lack of napping stuff--I know how that goes! Olivia is a total turd ferguson some days...