Monday, January 26, 2009

Robbery!! (Don't Worry--Not our House)

As I said in the title, yes, there was a robbery, but don't worry, it wasn't at our house, or anything directly belonging to us really. As many of you know, my mom owns a gas station/convenience store up in the thumb, in Otter Lake, which is sort of near Davidson. So, I was talking to my mom last night after Brian left, and she casually says, "Yeah, we got a phone call from Randy (one of her workers) this morning at 7 am." Then, she stops. So, I have to prompt her and say, "Oh yeah, about what?" To which she replied, "Oh, the station was robbed last night." Lovely.

Her worker Randy got to work on Sunday morning to find the side door of the station completely broken out. It's a full glass panel door with a handle all the way across on the inside, as many of you are probably familiar with. Some of my readers are intimately familiar with it, given that you've worked for my Mom! Anyway, come to find out they weren't the only target; the same person tried to break into the other little store in town without success, due to window positioning and crazy homemade locking systems, made by Ed, who owns the Superette in question. Anyway, my mom has cameras in the store, and whoever did this must be local, because he knew exactly where they were, and kept his face hidden the whole time, and dodged through the aisles at exactly the right places. The police think they know who this person is, because earlier that night at the Superette, he had tried to steal beer, and they kicked him out. So, the theory is, he then came back to the Superette and tried to break in, failed, and then came to my mom's place. This is the funny part--the only thing he took was 2 30 packs of Bud Light. She would have been out more money if he'd taken 2 cartons of cigarettes. Also, he broke that window, went to the cooler (leaving the big back door open, which my mom was pretty peeved about), took 60 beers, and left in 31 seconds flat. My mom reviewed her tapes, and told me that. It killed me--so fast, 31 seconds, shows a total disregard for conscience. Wow. Also, despite the door being completely busted, the only other creature that came in the station all night was the black cat that lives around the area and feeds in the dumpster. Apparently, the poor little scrawny thing came in out of the cold several times. As my mom put it, "Well, I'm out an insurance claim, and 30 bucks in beer. If you're going to get robbed, I guess this is the way you want it to go."

And I was just thinking about this--my parents have owned the station for 13 and a half years, and this is only the second time they've been robbed. That's not too bad, actually, particularly considering the area it's in (poor and rural--I would almost expect robberies from people looking for drug money or something). I mean, don't get me wrong, other things have happened--one of their clerks was assaulted, they've had numerous gas drive offs obviously, and even a naked gas pumper of all things. Also, my mom fell outside on the ice one year and broke her leg (as she put it--at least it was her that was hurt and not a customer), and one particularly hot summer when the air was broken, a completely disgusting redneck guy asked my frequent reader A if he could lick the sweat off her. But, all in all, its been a fairly uneventful place to be. So, if you're ever in Otter Lake, Michigan, stop at the Marathon station, ask for Marie, and tell her you know me.

1 comment:

April said...

LOL. I mean, I'm sorry that your mom was robbed, but he only took BEER?!??? She's right--she got off lucky. And way to remember the "lick you" story. heh heh.