Monday, March 30, 2009

Proud Godmother

As I stated on Facebook, I am now a proud Godmother to Jeff and Candace's son, Oliver. His baptism was yesterday down in Canton, really close to our old house (which was kind of weird). Anyway, Brian was asked to be his godfather as well, which was really wonderful. We feel very honored to be asked to play an important role in his life.

Three children were being baptized yesterday, Ollie, a little girl about his age (6 months) and a tiny baby girl. All the families sat around the fount (the bird bath looking thing with the holy water in it) in a half circle. We were in the middle. Anyway, I've never been to a Catholic baptism before (just my friend K-Lo's very cool Mennonite baptism), so I had no clue what to do. But, the deacon was very nice and guided us through. Ollie was very cute in his little outfit, and behaved like a champ. When the deacon annointed his chest with oil, Ollie tried to bite his thumb. When the holy water was dumped on his head, he just had this startled look on his face, then when it was done, he squealed. And when his head was annointed with the other oil, he, again, just let out a squeal. Afterwards, there were many pictures taken, so I was careful yesterday to make sure I had good makeup and hair going so I'd look my best for Candace's pictures! Brian also looked snazzy in his blue button down and sport jacket. My husband is CUTE.

After the ceremony, we went to Jeff's parents' house for a family party. The men spent most of their time watching the State game (go MSU!). The ladies sat around and chatted (mostly about babies and kids) and Candace opened Ollie's gifts. You know, a typical family style party. The food and cake were delicious, and we appreciate the Meese's having us in their home. Again, we truly appreciate and are honored by the fact that we were asked to have that role in Oliver's life.

As a side note, Brian was completely in his element yesterday at the church and during the ceremony. Me not being Catholic (or anything, really) I had no idea what to expect, and it was a cake walk for him. He knew every prayer and exactly what to do and obviously felt really comfortable. It's strange for me to see him in that light, because he's never really gone to Mass or been involved in his church the entire time we've been together. But its the same feeling I get when we travel together and we go in cathedrals, and he stops and crosses himself in the holy water. It's weird for me, but natural for him. So, quite honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a church goer again...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well congrats to the Godparents! :-)

Sounds like a very fun and "cozy" sort of a day!

:-)
-Jess

April said...

I'd love to see pics of you and Olivia's alter ego! :)

I, too, feel a little out of place in a Catholic church because I don't know what it expected of me. It's very mentally taxing to go because you're always thinking, "Okay, did I miss something I was supposed to do? What's going to happen next???"

Candace said...

Thanks, Heather! We're truly blessed and honored to have you guys as Oliver's godparents. Thanks again! :)