Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Best Laid Plans

Boy, sometimes the best laid plans go very awry. Brian was supposed to leave yesterday for a trip out west for training class. He was going to be gone all week, and then we would leave for Las Vegas on Saturday. He's been home pretty much since Thanksgiving, and, quite frankly, I was really looking forward to having the house to myself this week. I had such a lovely little week planned.

He got out of bed yesterday morning to drive to the airport to catch his plane. He knew pretty quickly that it wasn't going to happen--he'd come down with the dreaded cold/flu type of thing. He was feverish, coughing, congested, and was so tired he went right back to bed. He doesn't get sick very often, but when he does, it can be pretty bad. But the worse thing about it is how whiny he is. In particular, he goes on and on about his glands being swollen, although they generally aren't. Apparently, when he was sick when he was little, his mother would always check his glands and declare that they were swollen. As I said to him yesterday, your glands are only swollen if you have some sort of infection like mono. This was just a bad cold or mild flu.

So, yesterday, he stayed upstairs in bed ALL DAY, sleeping most of the time. I truly have to say, I've never quite seen him this sick. He said he couldn't remember the last time he had to take a sick day. Luckily, when he called his boss to say that he didn't make his plane, Todd was very understanding and told him to stay home and get better. Todd also made a crack wondering why I had been so anxious to get Brian out of the house, something along the lines of, "Is her boyfriend coming over?" No, I just wanted to have some alone time!

But the good news is, he's already much better today, and I expect tomorrow he'll be quite on the mend. By the time we leave Saturday, he should be fine. The kicker of it is that now I'm sick, although much less severe than he. I think I'll be fine Saturday too. Viva Las Vegas!

1 comment:

Diane said...

Glad to hear that you were looking forward to Brian leaving, I always feel guilty when Jeff is home for a long period of time. It throws off my routine.....