Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I'm a Guitar Hero...Sort Of

As I stated in an earlier post, Brian sold his PS2 and all of the games for it, and got a Wii. Of course, he had to buy "Guitar Hero" for the thing, even though he'd already beaten it in Medium. He brings it home, plugs it in, and whips through the thing all over again. He gets to play as Slash, beat the devil at the end, the whole nine yards. He then tries to get me to play.

As I held the guitar in my hand several weeks ago, I thought, "This can't be that hard." Ha! How wrong was I. I was absolutely hopeless. I couldn't even play in super duper slow practice mode. I angrily resolved never to play the damn game again. "Pi-shaw!" I though to myself. "Who needs to play this crappy game anyway?" I continued to watch him play it, and occasionally run into trouble, but then always beat the stupid song in the end. And in the back of my mind, I secretly wished I could play too. But I thought I was hopeless.

The other night he was playing, and for some reason, I felt compelled to try again, fully expecting to get booed off the stage, and again, resolve never to play the game. I tentatively pick up the guitar as Brian adjusts the shoulder strap to a much shorter level at which he had it. He takes the game out to the Easy level for me, then I pick a song.

As I begin to play, I realize I'm actually hitting my notes and my right hand seems to be miraculously working in tune with my left. I continue playing, missing notes here and there, and expecting to be booed. I'm not booed. Brian tells me how well I'm doing. I keep saying that I suck. But I don't suck. I'm not great, but I don't suck. I finish the song! And then another, and another, and all of a sudden, on Day Two, I'm battling Tom Morello. That I couldn't complete. (Yet.) But I was beating songs, averaging about 88%, which I'd say is a B+. I can handle that. I've even formed my own band, called "Hotlips," like the character on MASH.

And the other night, I realized the best part about playing--when I play, Brian thinks I'm hot, even if I suck.

1 comment:

April said...

Guitar Hero can be so addicting! JB taught his parents how to play, and his mom, who never played a video game in her life, figured it out, too! :)

Keep working on it, girl. You'll get 100% sometime. But it's still fun either way.