Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Life Update

Wow! I've had a ton of stuff going on the past week or so!

First, we had everyone on Brian's side of the family over for Easter. We made ham, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, etc. Counting Brian and I, it was 12 adults and 7 kids. Definitely a full house, but it was good and we had the room for everybody. Dinner was at 2, and everyone was gone and the house was pretty well cleaned up by 7:30. Not too shabby.

Second, I had to take my brand new car in for service already. But, I'm not upset. Everything has little bugs, nothing's perfect, and it's all under warranty. And the issue was minor but annoying. My engine light had come on and not gone off, so I had On-Star ping the car and see what the issue was. They did, and found nothing. When that happens, they nonetheless recommend that you take the car in, because obviously, something is making the stupid light come on. So, I took the car in, and they found that I have a faulty intake manifold valve. It keeps sticking, but it doesn't hurt the car to drive it that way in the short term, and the part has been ordered for replacement. It was funny, obviously those service reps don't encounter people with a ton of car knowledge, especially women. (It's sad to say, and honestly, I have very little myself.) So, he pops the hood, and starts explaining to me what the intake manifold valve does. I ended up finishing his sentence, thus indicating I knew exactly what he was talking about. I couldn't tell whether he was annoyed or impressed.

Third, I had an interview on Monday afternoon in Royal Oak for a part time temp job. The gig would be sitting in on depositions in some asbestos litigation for the defense firm. These are the type of things that, in 9 times out of 10, I would not have to ask a single question, and when I did, it would be a certain set of very specific questions that would be provided me. I would then provide the firm with a summary of the deposition so that they could decide the merit of the case.

Quite honestly, I'm excited about the prospect and think it would be a great position for me to get back out into the work world. I just heard today that the firm is meeting over the weekend to discuss the candidates, and I should hear something next week. So we'll see. I'm trying not to get my hopes up so as not to get disappointed if they don't select me. I think the only thing that would hurt my chances would be the fact that I was 5 minutes late to the interview. But, I have a very good explanation! I left my house at 3:10 for a 4:30 interview. I should have been there at 4, no problem, but MDOT chose that exact time to take eastbound I-96 down to one lane at the Wixom Road project, and it took me 35 minutes to go 5 miles. It was ridiculous. I did call while I was stuck, and profusely apologized and said I would be a few minutes late. When I arrived, they said it was okay, but I'm not sure. I hope they meant it!

So, that's what been happening with me! Whew! I'm tired! Oh, I also beat Guitar Hero in Easy mode, and have to move on to Medium. And, I have a cold that I forgot to mention. Yuck!

No comments: